becoming a dad

It was about 5.30am My alarm wasn't due to go off until 6am when it was time to wake up. Sure, my office hours only start from 8.30am but because the office was in Mutiara Damansara and my condo in Seri Kembangan, when you consider I have to take the typical Klang Valley highways before the jam becomes stupidly ridiculous  the earlier I leave the lesser my blood pressure becomes. 

I get up and see my wife is also awake. She is having some stomach pains. By this time she was 8 and a half weeks pregnant and our daughter isn't due for another two weeks. I remember for the past few days she went on a "nesting phase" and was even painting the new baby's room last night.Today is the same day I scheduled my new car's first service in the service centre in Batu Caves where I had already pre-arranged a colleague to pick me up and get to work. So after careful consideration and planning we both got ready for me to first send her to Assunta Hosiptal, PJ (the same hospital she was born in 26 years earlier) and then I would send the car for servicing.

We made good time as I got her to the hospital around .6.20am. After seeing her off I made my way to the service centre in Batu Caves, then my colleague picked me up to go to work. I got to work, had my breakfast and got on with my day as it was any other day.

Was in a meeting around 10am and then got a text from my wife. She said the doctor told her she was going into labour! She was freaking out. I was also silently freaking out! Oh wow, is today the day? I'm going to be a dad?! I had to stay calm. After some text exchanges with my dearest wife it was established that it was still early as dilation is still small and contractions haven't really started yet. We still had time. I asked if she needed me now and she said not really necessary yet. So I chilled on got on with work. I even remarked to a colleague that my wife is in first-time labour but I needed to go into another meeting then later pick up my car first before I can get to my wife. At this point I probably painted my self as the worst husband in the world to her so her facial expression was nothing short of stunned. I walked away quickly.

My wife had the good foresight to bring her bag of clothes and some essentials as we didn't know how long she would be in hospital as we both thought it would be a routine check and she would be out by lunchtime. I even made plans in my head to have lunch with her after taking the car from the service centre. That soon vanished as another text arrived at 12pm telling me she is going into further dilation. At this point I was done with my meeting and didn't really have any thing else planned for the next two days of the week. So I asked my boss for a half day explaining my wife is in labour and he gave me the time off required. I got my colleague to get me to the service centre and along the way I took the liberty to inform essential family members that we were hopefully going to have a new family member that day. I even called my wife's mom, where at that point of time they were both estranged from each other due to being women some kind of argument. Her mom was not really interested in the news and instead went into some kind of meltdown and cried saying her daughter was a bad person and blah blah blah at which point I have to retain my own cool and not reveal shitty poorly-timed family drama to my colleague who was still driving me to pick up my car from service. Oh, the joys of being a man.

Picked up my car and drove normally to the hospital and arrived by 1pm. My wife wasn't expecting me till after work but I surprised her well saying I felt I needed to support her. At this time her dilation grew and she started getting contractions. She was happy to see me and I gave her a kiss on her forehead and I reassured her she was doing a good job. We were in the maternity ward and the nurses were all excellently taking care of her. Her doctor soon arrived to check up on her and reassured her everything is going well. Soon she couldn't stand the pain so we decided to request the epidural. That was such a big relief for her.  I even took a video to document the historic event.

Seconds turned into minutes. Minutes turned into hours. Contractions became closer. And soon it was dinnertime. We we were just getting started. My dolling wife was being prepared for childbirth because we have reached ideal dilation and the contractions where seconds apart. Our seasoned doctor, the one we have been seeing since the start of pregnancy had came into the room with a face guard (the type you would expect to see in a car service workshop!), yellow rubber boots and some sort of clear overcoat. He gave a wry smile as he saw me look at him with a bewildered look. I know it was my first time going to witness a birthing process up live but I was wondering if all delivering doctors dress like this now?

Anyway, soon I forgot about all that as I was more preoccupied with my wife. I was genuinely concerned for her health and life because I didn't want to lose her as soon as she gave birth. The doctor has asked her to start pushing and she did. My superhero wife was suffering in pain and all I could do was hold her hand and give her support. It was at this time I really had the highest love and appreciation for her because she basically put her life on the line and sacrificed so much during the pregnancy period to get to this point. I made a mental note to be as good as a husband I can ever be to her.

She pushed and pushed. Soon, a little head popped out. Doctor turned our baby's head to the right and pulled her out in one smooth motion. I had my phone ready and took a few snaps of my daughter coming out covered in blood and other fluids still attached with the umbilical cord. She was beautiful. As they took her away to get cleaned up my focus immediately went to my awesome wife. She did a great job, probably the most emotionally draining, painful experience to deliver another human being. I was so proud of her. I held her hand and told her she did well. She was still in a daze. The nurse came back with our baby in a towel and I gave a quick nod and turned back to my wife again. I was just concerned about her you know because I loved her longer than my newborn. My baby was taken to another room and I was still with my wife as they were taking out the placenta. It was only when her breathing stabilized and the doctor started sewing her up (unknown to me he had to cut a part of her privates to let the baby come out better....my goodness imagine the pain....) only then I excused myself to take a look at my baby.

I located the room my baby was. And there she was. My Smaller Dolling. She was so adorable. Big eyes like her mom. Big nose like her dad. Suddenly it hit me. I became a father. My life completely changed at this point. I swore I will do whatever it takes to give my little girl a good life. She had some bubbles coming out from her mouth. I didn't know what to do. The doctor arrived and just took a tissue to wipe away those bubbles. Oh....

Soon I began taking pics of her and later picked her up for the very first time and we had our own picture together. I was so happy seeing this bundle of joy. Later she met her mom and she was so happy to finally meet the girl who was living in her small cave for the past few months. It was the first time we three became a family. At least it lasted almost four years...

After I few days, my brother and I planted the placenta somewhere near our condo. We saw some dogs looking in our direction some feet away. Hopefully the damn dogs left the buried placenta alone.

-End-



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

mattress

phone in glove box

fridge