phone in glove box

Of course by now we all know that modern electronics are not designed to last long. Can you imagine if your phone worked great for a decade, without slowing down or consistently able to get great software updates to keep it working like the latest model from the manufacturer, why would you decide to upgrade to a newer shinier model? Manufacturers all want to bathe in money, so they can't have you only being a return customer every five years like car buyers, no?

It is for this reason that mobile phone manufacturers purposely design their phones to last on average every 2 years with a corresponding software support cycle. So at the end of the two years you would have to sucker up more cash to buy a shiny new phone and contribute more to the economy.

It was 2014. My wife's crappy cheap Samsung Galaxy Y was having a mobile phone equivalent of Alzheimer's. Slow. Memory full. Keeps freezing up. We knew it was time for a change. We were discussing on changing it to a new model soon. My wife didn't ask for any phone in particular, she isn't really fussy on these type of things. She never had a flagship phone of any kind from her previous experience. She was most fond of a Sony Ericsson phone before but even that one had some issues where she had to eventually get a replacement under warranty. So she was probably satisfied with any new phone as long as it was running Android and can take pictures with a flash. I was determined to give her a surprise.

There was one day in April 2014 that I was anticipating more than anything else and that was the day I would get my bonus for the previous financial year. I was tipped by some colleagues that the payout would fall on a particular day and by chance I was scheduled to be on my days off when the bonus would go into my bank account. I decided to get my plan into motion but I needed two things to make it work. 1. I needed my wife's current slow-ass phone and 2. I needed her car to become the giant gift box.

So I did what any good husband would have done to surprise his wife; lie. I told her I would swing by for lunch to take her phone to the phone shop to get it repaired or serviced to get faster and took her car to get it washed or something. I only had about an hour and a half before her next class so I had to act quick. As soon as I arrived I gave her a call and we met at the parking lot. I even gave her my phone so I could call her as I am taking her sim card and SD card as well so I could get the phone shop to immediately set up her new phone.

Now that I arrived at the shop at the Aeon Bukit Indah mall 10 minutes away, I knew what I wanted to get her. I would surprise my wife with the first flagship phone she had in her life. A brand new, latest flagship for Samsung at that time, the Galaxy Note 3. Wow, that phone was really something. It was the phone everyone wanted due to the glorious screen size, S-pen and awesome covers that was a cost option. I knew my wife secretly wanted this but she never demanded for it because it was quite expensive (now in 2017, paying RM2.2k for a flagship phone sounds like an absolute bargain!). At this time iPhones still only had 4 inch screens and it would have been another 4 months before the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus were introduced to the market. But at that moment, it was the Galaxy Note 3 that every man, woman, kid, cat, dog and squirrel wanted. The tricky part was to choose the colour. All her previous phones were black. Her car is black. Her hair is black. It was a straightforward choice; I got her the white one. Why? Because I was going to get my own Note 3, in black, later on, and why would we want to confuse our phones in the same room? LOL. Besides, a white phone would be easier to find in dark room conditions.

The Samsung shop people were briefed on my intention to surprise my wife and the time left on my mission. Probably a good thing I told them since now they worked double time to set up the phone and process my payment. I got out of there in 20 minutes. Had to stop by an accessories stall to get a cheaper knock-off window cover and screen protector (these were the days before tempered glass became mainstream). I now had 30 minutes before her class started. Carwash be damned, I had to get back to her. So off I left the mall and sped on the Second Link Highway towards Setia Eco Gardens. I got there with 15 minutes to spare.

I gave her a call and she would arrive at the car park soon. I had not much time to prepare. I slid the brand new phone into the glovebox and kept the box with the chargers and stuff in the boot. Cooked up an excuse for the carwash not done. Held my other phone issued by the company to record the moment. Then, the door opened....

"Wow, I really like your phone. So nice to use even if it was for a short while..." she said.

"Oh really? Haha that's nice. Anyway I have bad news", I replied.

"Oh, why? And why are you holding your phone like that...," she became intrigued because I was holding my work phone like it was a cup of iced tea, having no idea she was being recorded.

"Oh its nothing. Anyway, your phone... it's not possible to repair", I let out a fake sigh.

She was now getting all confused.

"Open the glovebox".

She couldn't figure it out. I think at this point she was contemplating on calling the cops on me because I may have been kidnapped by aliens and gotten brainwashed into abducting her as well. But  she opened the glovebox anyway, and when she did, she had the most shocked expression that is still hardwired in my brain today which I will never forget due to the fact she looked so cute while doing it. Her eyes got so big, her mouth formed an 'O' as she let out a gasp of disbelief, for a magnificent Galaxy Note 3 lay gloriously in the glovebox. If the phone could speak, it would have said; "Hey how're ya doin'? I'm your Galaxy Note 3 baby..."

"Oh my god! Is this a Galaxy Note 3?! Oh my god! I can't believe this! Oh, ho ho ho....I can't believe you bought me a Galaxy Note 3....." and now she burst into some tears. Because women are like that.

She gave me a nice big hug that lasted like 2 seconds before she realized she rather be holding her phone and looking at its magnificence instead of smelling my body odour.

She loved the phone. She loved the colour. She even loved the window cover I gave her. She pulled out the S-pen and wrote on the screen. An orgasmic scream arrived soon after as she slowly came to terms she was holding a flagship phone and not some cheap mid-ranger like she always had before. She asked what was she going to do with the old phone. I said it now belongs to our 2 year old daughter and proceeded to fling it to the rear seats. For a moment her eyes followed the phone flying in the cabin but even before her old phone landed at the back her eyes were back to her brand new Galaxy Note 3. It took a while for her to even realize she had tears flowing onto the phone and immediately wiped it off the beautiful AMOLED screen, her new precious cannot be stained by even happy tears! She soon ran off to class to spill the beans to her students, because she is that kind of teacher who loves to share happy news, LOL.

The video would later make its rounds to her Facebook and her friends left happy comments. I was probably in the running for Husband of the Year among her circle of friends at that point for pulling off that stunt and getting good video with her mucus running out her nose joyous tears captured for the world to see. It was a great feeling to make your loved ones happy, and a bonus to capture it on video.

A month later I bought my own Galaxy Note 3. In black. No one recorded any video of me getting my hands on this.

-End-







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

mattress

fridge