dolling

It is quite common for couples in love to have short, nama manja references for each other. I used to have one.

It started one day when myself and then first only girlfriend (later my wife then later on ex-wife) and I were in our hostel room in Genting. I was telling her that I wanted to go down to KL for something and wanted to leave at 5pm sharp. She told me she had to work until 5.30pm or something along those lines but basically she couldn't get out of office any earlier and get changed in time to meet my departure time. So I just teased her and said that I could always go down alone...

And then she went into the most manja fit I had ever seen. Faking a cry and then pleading for her boyfriend (then later husband then much later on despised ex-husband) to not do that. Then she closed her eyes, flattened her lips with her face to the ceiling, she let out :uhuk uhuk... Dolling......waaah waah...don't do this to me Dolling....,"

What did I do? I was stunned. Because it was probably the cutest thing I ever witnessed with my two eyes behind spectacles. She continued to approach me, placed her hand on my shoulders and continued with her fake cry... "Dolling.... dolling....waaah..." then later I noticed a tear. Then maybe it wasn't so fake of a cry after all....

I was actually chuckling inside seeing all this drama by a grown, pretty woman with a cute pixie cut and big brown eyes make this fuss just because of a small tease. I proceeded to give her a hug and said its OK I will wait till she is ready to go down. Ever since then I used the moniker to call her Dolling instead of Darling like 99.9% of the rest of the planet. I even designated her as Small Dolling and myself Big Dolling which she squealed with joy when I messaged her another time to invite her down to KL for dinner.

A mini-war erupted when we were due to receive our baby daughter. I proposed to my pregnant wife one day in the car to call our baby Small Dolling instead, while I promoted her to Medium Dolling, following standard sizing convention used by countless industries like apparel and F&B industries. Suffice to say, she wasn't thrilled by the idea at all and was adamant to maintain her royal Small Dollingness forever till death divorce do us part. So eventually I settled for a less glamorous and confusing Smaller Dolling moniker for my little girl.

I wish I was still referred as a Dolling today.

-End-






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

mattress

phone in glove box

fridge