mattress

It was probably a couple of months after we moved from the 12th (or was it 10th?) floor studio unit of RSC8 to the 4th floor one-bedroom apartment. It was quite a happy move because it only was made possible as I had been promoted to a Manager's position which meant my employment benefit on on-site accommodation was about to get a big upgrade as it meant we had more space for our stuff as a married couple. Of course, that didn't really stop us from co-habitating earlier as we had more than enough mutual affection coupled with the fact she didn't really want to stay in her RSC5 room with her older roomate. So the move to the bigger unit some months before the wedding was a big boost as we had more space to cram our stuff and cook like a real couple. Plus the fact my siblings could now properly stay with us on their trips up the mountain without having to stay in a hotel room.

Even the furniture and fittings provided was more than adequate. We had some kitchen cabinets, a two-seater sofa, TV shelf, coffee table, writing desk, a big wardrobe and a queen-sized bed complete with mattress. Ah, the mattress. Barring the fact that the unit was previously lived in by another Manager before he/she probably left the company, the mattress itself was pretty decent to be slept on even if it would have been categorized as "used" on Mudah.my (I now wonder if Mudah existed in 2011). My wife at the time also slept on the same mattress so no biggie.

Then one night, I fidgeted in bed and some how woke up. As usual, I readjusted my position and moved my arm to be closer to my wife who slept on my left. The problem was, my arm made no contact with anybody. I stretched out, opened my eyes and saw no one. First instinct was she got kidnapped by aliens went to the the bathroom but the bedroom door was shut. I eeked out a calling cry ,"Dolling?!"

Then suddenly, a small voice from the corner of the room emanated.

"Dear... I'm down here..."

I replied, "What? Down where?"

"Down here... on the floor..."

Picture this. It's 3am in the morning. You woke up to find your wife kidnapped by aliens missing from bed. You let out a calling cry, confused and dazed as you were still sleeping just a minute ago. A reply came. You then realize she is indeed on the floor. You wonder if you somehow kicked your wife down to the floor in your sleep. So many questions, so much confusion at such a late hour. Before I was able to muster a coherent reply in-line with my image as a late 20-something grown adult male, the next few words finally solved everything.

"The mattress is too hard. So I decided to sleep on the rug on the floor with these pillows..."

Nevermind that a typical tiled floor is so much harder even the most uncomfortable mattress in the world. Logic be damned! I sprang off the bed down to the floor and gave my wife an embrace while shedding a tear. It was too much emotion to handle. Of course she did mention before something about the mattress being too hard so we softened up her part of the bed with an extra layer of a comforter to make it more bearable. But I would never have thought I would wake up in the middle of the night to see the sight I saw now. I cuddled with her to a temporary solution; the sofa in the living room. Surely that is more comfortable than the floor. I vowed to solve this problem no matter what it takes for the welfare of my wife's spine and bottom.

The next day we went straight to Courts in Mutiara Damansara (yes, I am aware it doesn't exist now in 2017 but it was there in 2011 so deal with it.)

Over there, we saw a nice Australian branded mattress which the Mrs liked. So I paid for it. Nevermind that later there was some drama from the store management saying we had to pay extra to deliver to genting highlands, even though I had clearly told them where we want it delivered and they agreed to a nominal cost. But in two days she was happily sleeping on a well-sprung mattress in our bedroom. She was so happy. I was even happier because I solved an actual problem. Because I couldn't live through another saga to find her kidnapped by aliens on the floor again.

With the new mattress in place, the older company issued item still served a purpose to be used in the living room for use of our guests up the mountain resort visiting us. When not in use we handily stored it behind the sofa. It doubled up nicely as a head-rest. Win-win situation. Though we did have to part with that old mattress it a year later when we both resigned from our jobs and moved to Seri Kembangan in Selangor.

We brought the new mattress along with us to the new house.

-End-


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

phone in glove box

fridge